Clifford Learns About the First Thanksgiving and So Do We!
By Marci Ruiz
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
Over a three week time period, the students learn about the pilgrims in terms of: why they left England, their voyage to America, the challenges they faced when they arrived, and their relationship with the American Indians. As a culmination of this unit, we have a feast with another class. We come as the pilgrims bearing gifts, sharing our harvest, and thankful for our survival. The children in the other class come to the feast as the Indians who helped us.
- Tell why the pilgrims came to America.
- Name two of the ships that brought the pilgrims to the new land.
- Tell some of the ways the Indians helped the pilgrims survive their first year in America such as showing them:
- How to plant corn.
- Which plants were safe to eat?
- Which plants were useful?
- How to fish.
- How to hunt.