Chris & Croc Extension Activity
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
Help Chris & Croc Solve Problems
In Chris & Croc, a boy and his crocodile friend discover creative ways to solve their problems. In this bulletin board activity, students create their own solutions to the characters' problems.
- flip chart
- crayons or markers
- construction paper of various colors
1. Read Chris & Croc to the class. Afterward, point out how every time there is a problem, Chris and Croc come up with a great solution.
2. Invite students to brainstorm all of the problems Chris and Croc face during the day. List them on a flip chart.
3. Reread the book aloud. As you read, have the class check to see if they have listed every problem. Add any that were missed.
4. Read the story aloud once more. This time, encourage students to raise their hands as you read a solution to each problem. List solutions next to their problems on the flip chart.
5. Divide the class into small groups and distribute one piece of construction paper and one problem per group.
6. Ask groups to draw a picture of their assigned problem. Underneath their drawing, have the groups write a description of their problem. Encourage them to refer to the flip chart for help.
7. Now, ask the groups to think of a new solution to their problem. Have them write their new solution underneath their drawing.
8. Display the groups' problems and solutions in the same order in which they occur in the story on the bulletin board.
9. Add the title "We Help Chris and Croc Solve Problems" to the display.