Check Reading Comprehension and Apply Writing
Students apply what they've learned about nonfiction text with writing of their own.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5
- Unit Plan:
The final lesson of this unit plan provides students with a strong foundation for reading, writing, and using nonfiction.
- Check their comprehension skills
- Apply what they've learned to their own writing
- Writing tools
- Why is the Leaning Tower of Pisa so famous?
- What was the problem with the tower?
- How did the engineers solve the problem?
- Which text features did you find most helpful?
- What clues in the article helped you figure out the text structure?
Step 2: Have students write two or three sentences that tell you about the article. Ask them to include the following:
- What happened to make the Learning Tower of Pisa dangerous
- What was done to make the tower safe again