Carlos and The Squash Plant Extension Activity
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 2
Lexile Measure: 850L
Guided Reading Level: K
Age: Age 7, Age 5
Subject: Family Life, Farm and Ranch Life, Hispanic and Latin American, Hygiene
Write a Recipe
Ask children if they have ever used a recipe. Discuss how a recipe has two parts — a list of ingredients and directions for how to use them. Ask children to recall the special food that was mentioned in the story.
- Show children the recipe for calabacitas at the back of the book and point out the list of ingredients and the directions.
- Help children write a class recipe for something that is simple and familiar, or suggest that the class make up a fun recipe for a sandwich that includes many ingredients.
- Have children suggest ideas for ingredients to include in their sandwich. Help them write the ingredients on chart paper using the letters they know.
- Encourage students to include a picture if they wish.
- As a class, write out the recipe directions. Discuss why a recipe has to follow a certain sequence.