Carlos and The Squash Plant Extension Activities
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
About this book
WRITE A RECIPE
Ask children if they have ever used a recipe. Discuss how a recipe has two parts—a list of ingredients and directions for how to use them. Ask children to recall the special food that was mentioned in the story.
- Show children the recipe for calabacitas at the back of the book and point out the list of ingredients and the directions.
- Help children write a class recipe for something that is simple and familiar, or suggest that the class make up a fun recipe for a sandwich that includes many ingredients.
- Have children suggest ideas for ingredients to include in their sandwich. Help them write the ingredients on chart paper using the letters they know.
- They may also wish to include a picture.
- Then write the directions. Discuss why a recipe has to follow a certain sequence.