Biographies: Beyond Book Reports
- Grades: 3–5
Biographies can introduce students to a whole new world of historical figures and different eras. Studying them can also inspire students as they read about people who overcame problems, faced obstacles and criticism, but persevered to succeed. In this unit, students will explore different biographies and then choose one notable person of interest to study in-depth. Through interactive activities, students will present what they have learned to the class in a first-hand account as they transform themselves into their notable person.
- Understand that biographies give an account of a person's life and achievements
- Explore several different types of biographies to help determine their area of interest
- Use various resources to research one notable person.
- Write a biographical sketch
- Create several "artifacts" and gather props that help tell the story of the person they have researched
- Prepare a presentation to share what they have learned