Applying Election Vocabulary
Students review presidential campaign vocabulary.
- Grades: 6–8
- Unit Plan:
Students review presidential campaign vocabulary that was introduced in the previous lesson.
- Review and practice vocabulary.
- Use words for comprehension.
- Practice sharing orally.
- "The Presidential Election" Reading Passage (PDF)
- "The Presidential Election" Comprehension Questions (PDF)
- Paper and pencils
- Presidential Election Crossword Puzzle (PDF)
Set Up and Prepare
- Print a class set of the reading passage, comprehension questions, and crossword puzzle.
- Optional: Set up a projector for the worksheets, to follow along with during the lesson.
Step 1: Give each student a copy of the "The Presidential Election" Reading Passage (PDF). Ask students to work with a partner and take turns reading the story together.
Step 2: Hand out the "The Presidential Election" Comprehension Questions (PDF) and have the partners discuss and answer the questions. Set a time limit of 5-10 minutes to complete.
Step 3: Ask for volunteers to read the story out loud to the class. (This is especially helpful for ELL students).
Step 4: Give each student a copy of the Presidential Election Crossword Puzzle (PDF). You have the following options:
- Work with partners to complete the puzzle.
- Work independently to complete the puzzle.
- Allow them to work on the vocabulary sheet from previous lesson.
Step 5: If everyone finishes in time, put the answers on the projector. If time runs out, this can be completed as homework and you can discuss the answers at the beginning of the next class.
Supporting All Learners
Walk around room and make sure the partners are working on the assignment. Listen to the students reading orally to make sure they are reading with fluency and are correct with their pronunciations. You also want to make sure that both partners are working equally to complete these assignments.
Students make a matching quiz using the vocabulary words.
Students can ask family members to give them the definitions of the vocabulary words to see if they can give the correct answers.
- Finish crossword puzzle, if necessary
- Continue reviewing the vocabulary words.
- Did you walk around the room and listen to see if your students were working productively?
- Did you listen for students who were having difficulties with fluency, comprehension, or pronunciation? Did you make a list of those students?
Observe students as they work in pairs to see if they are having difficulty reading the text. As you walk around make a note of the students that are having problems so you can form a small group to work on comprehension and fluency.