All About the Heart
Young children learn about the human heart and how to care for it. Plus, the history behind the famous heart shape!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2
This unit teaches young children about the human heart. Students will learn how to have a healthy heart. They also research the history of the heart shape. The unit ends with a charitable, "heartfelt" event.
- Be able to diagram the human heart, following the blood flow in and out
- Be familiar with the terms having to do with the heart
- Compare and contrast the heartbeats per minute while resting and taking part in different exercises
- Identify exercises that promote a healthy heart
- Identify healthy habits, including healthy eating habits
- Create posters promoting healthy hearts
- Research the history of the heart shape
- Create a work of art using a paper heart
- Write a Valentine’s Day poem about a classmate
Lesson Plans for this Unit
At the end of this unit, the students will participate in a charitable event (for examples, decorating heart cookies at an orphanage or nursing home and reading the residents poems or doing a heart craft), as well as their classroom Valentine’s Day party. Our school also has a "Jump Rope for Heart" day around this time of year.