5-Day Unit Plan for Introducing Nonfiction
These lesson plans help provide students with a strong foundation for reading, writing, and using nonfiction.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5
By learning to how to use information presented in various types of nonfiction material, students will prepare to use the multitude of expository texts that readers of all ages encounter daily, including newspapers, brochures, magazines, instruction manuals, recipes, and maps.
- Get an introduction to nonfiction texts and identify what they already know about this genre
- Prepare to read a nonfiction article by building background knowledge and learning key vocabulary
- Learn text features associated with types of nonfiction
- Learn about different text structures used in nonfiction and identify the text structure of a specific passage
- Check their comprehension skills and apply what they've learned to their own writing
Lesson Plans for this Unit
Lesson 1: What's Special About Nonfiction?
Lesson 2: Prepare to Read Nonfiction
Lesson 3: Teach Text Features and Read Nonfiction
Lesson 4: Teach Text Structure for Nonfiction
Lesson 5: Check Comprehension and Apply Writing