My class this year has developed into a group of writers! No more groans when I ask them to take out the Writer's Notebooks or when we work on revising and editing. I'm not sure exactly what made them turn the corner, but here are a few things we have done:
- we had a guest author come in for a week to work with the students
- the students have been writing every day (almost)
- I've given general prompts and allowed the students to, "go where it takes you"
- we've discussed lots of examples, and I have written along with them
- I've used mentor texts in my mini-lessons
- the students are conferencing with each other about word choice and sentence fluency.
I'm excited about where we can go from here!
Thank you for sharing your successes with us. It's always an encouragement to hear from great teachers. I really like the idea of bringing in a guest author and of writing along side your kids!
Sign up today for free teaching ideas, lesson plans, online activities, tips for your classroom, and much more.
Choose your grade range:
See a sample >