Each grade level is different in our district, but here are the units of study I teach in third grade:
1. Launching Reading Worksop (6 weeks)
2. Fiction Genre Study (5-6 weeks)
3. Mystery Genre Study/Book Clubs (3-4 weeks)
4. Nonfiction Unit of Study (5 weeks)
5. Poetry Unit of Study (4 weeks)
6. Reading Partnerships (4 weeks)
7. Allen Say Author Study (3-4 weeks)
8. Research/Report Unit (6 weeks)
9. Making Plans for Summer Reading (2 weeks)
We do not teach comprehension strategies in isolation. They are woven into each unit so that the strategies are taught and reinforced when it makes the most sense in a particular genre of text.
I hope this helps!
Sign up today for free teaching ideas, lesson plans, online activities, tips for your classroom, and much more.
Choose your grade range:
See a sample >