Laura (comment #3),
The lessons in this post fall into different units of study that I teach throughout the school year. In our district, Lucy Calkin's Units of Study are our main teaching resource, but we also use 6-Traits, Ralph Fletcher, and I like to add a lot of lessons from Scholastic writing resource books as well as lessons I create on my own.
The order that we teach our units of study is as follows:
1. Launching Reading Workshop (This is where the Narrative Lead Posters are introduced.)
2. Raising the Quality of Narrative Writing (This unit where I really emphasize "show, don't tell.")
3. Expository Writing (Different Text Structures such as descriptive, sequential, compare/contrast, problem/solution)
4. Research & Report Writing
6. Fiction (In this unit, they publish in a hardcover book.)
Students are also doing reading response on a daily basis.
I hope this helps!
Sign up today for free teaching ideas, lesson plans, online activities, tips for your classroom, and much more.
Choose your grade range:
See a sample >