Grades 4 - 7
Grade level Equivalent: 6.3
Lexile® Measure: Not Available
DRA: Not Available
Guided Reading: Not Available
- Food and Nutrition
- Weird Science
Reading Quiz Programs
About This Book
Kids will discover funny and astonishing food facts, trivia, and stories from around the world.
Did you know that radishes are a common breakfast food in Japan? Why do Americans love corn dogs? Do watermelons remove freckles? Can you really clean a toilet with a can of cola? Where does the expression "say cheese" come from? Did you know that in 1919 a molasses flood killed 21 people in Boston?
What child isn't going to want to know the answers to these questions? Step into any school cafeteria and you'll hear kids buzzing about food. Everything but the Kitchen Sink builds on that fascination with food through history, science, art, superstitions, and world records.
Organized in 10 fast-paced and fun chapters, Everything but the Kitchen Sink will present bite-size facts, interviews with fantastic "foodies," and amazing but true sidebars. Some recipes and activities are also included.
1. Hey, Dad, what's for breakfast! The first meal of the day across North America and around the world
2. Coo-coo, corn dogs, and mudbugs: Food through the ages: Why we eat what we eat
3. Why don't vampires like garlic? Outrageous food superstitions
4. Say cheese and grunt: Crazy food names and expressions
5. Snack attack! Everything you ever wanted to know about pizza, pop, cookies, and more
6. There's a lab in my kitchen: The science of food
7. Stuffed camel and other delicious holiday food: Festive foods and customs in North America and other continents
8. Biggest, longest, tallest, stinkiest: Food records that will amaze you
9. Who thought of that: Incredible food inventions
10. Everything but the kitchen sink: More fabulous food trivia