Grades 3 - 5
Grade level Equivalent: Not Available
Lexile® Measure: Not Available
Guided Reading: S
- African American History
- Slavery, Underground Railroad, Abolition
About This Book
In the 1800s, more than 100,000 slaves successfully escaped to freedom on the Underground Railroad. This in-depth look at the Underground Railroad includes information on how this secret network developed and how it operated. Also included are profiles of the major players involved in the Underground Railroad: Harriet Tubman, Levi Coffin, and Calvin Fairbanks.
Dramatic and defining moments in American history — from colonial times to the present day — come vividly to life in "Cornerstones of Freedom, Second Series." A natural extension of the acclaimed original series, the second series returns its focus to the United States with more of what middle-grade teachers and students are looking for to support history, social studies, and geography curricula.
Authoritative and up-to-date, "Cornerstones of Freedom, Second Series" is an exceptional and indispensable resource for middle-grade readers.
• Expanded subject coverage
• Subheadings clarify what text is about
• Informative sidebars integrated with text highlight areas of interest
• Glossary words now boldfaced in text
• Comprehensive time lines
• "To Find Out More" sections and index now in every volume