Grades 7 - 9
Grade level Equivalent: 5.4
Lexile® Measure: 760L
Guided Reading: Z
- Young Adult
- Growing Up
- Living with Illness and Disabilities
- African American
- Women's History and Experience
- Grandparents and Grandchildren
- Prejudice and Tolerance Experiences
- Understanding Self and Others
- Intergenerational Relationships
About This Book
On a visit to her grandmother Ola, who is dying of cancer in her house in the desert, fourteen-year-old Emmie hears many stories about the past and her family history and comes to a better understanding of relatives both dead and living.
One of the best-reviewed novels for young adults in 1993, this powerful debut is reminiscent of Terry McMillan's Waiting to Exhale. This story spans three generations of African-American women and their struggle to find a common ground for sharing love, friendship, and hardships.