Grades 6 - 8
Grade level Equivalent: 6.7
Lexile Measure®: 1110L
Guided Reading: X
- Industrial Revolution and Gilded Age
- Inventors and Inventions
- Technology and Society
About This Book
This book explores the world-changing impact of the steam engine, and how it helped define the Industrial Age. From steamboats, to locomotives, to nuclear submarines, the technology revolutionized power thanks to the contributions of many ingenious inventors.
"Inventions That Shaped the World" introduces young readers to revolutionary inventions, and emphasizes the impact the inventions had upon life at the time of their creation and beyond. Also explored is the featured invention’s cultural significance, as well as the patterns of change that resulted from its origination. Chapters cover topics such as life before the invention, the need for the invention, its development, its influence upon culture, its evolution, and a biography on the inventor.
• Highly visual with engaging four-color photos that enliven each subject
• Interesting sidebars that enhance text
• Introduces readers to revolutionary inventions and emphasizes the impact the inventions had upon life at the time of the creation and beyond
• Glossary, index, timeline, "To Find Out More" section