Grades 6 - 8
Grade level Equivalent: 8.7
Lexile Measure®: 1070L
Guided Reading: S
- Slavery, Underground Railroad, Abolition
- Ancient Civilizations
- Middle East
About This Book
Find out about how slavery began, the pharoahs' brutal use of it, and slavery in Hebrew society, as well as the origins of the word “slavery,” pyramid building, and more.
This well-illustrated book discusses how slavery began in ancient societies, the work that slaves did, and how slavery contributed to the building of those societies.
• Maps, charts, and graphs created expressly for Watts Library™
• Sidebars highlighting fast facts, quick biographies, and other extracted information
• Timeline (in all social studies titles)
• “To Find Out More” (books, organizations, websites, films/videos, audio)
• “A Note on Sources” (a note from the author describing his or her research materials and processes)