Grades 5 - 9
Grade level Equivalent: 7.5
Lexile® Measure: 960L
Guided Reading: W
- Fables, Folk Tales and Myths
- Legends and Myths
- Ancient Civilizations
- Primitive Religions and Beliefs
About This Book
Mythlopedia is a four-book series of "Look-it-Up Guides" to classical Greek mythology, takes a humorous, "irREFerent," and kid-friendly approach to a complex subject. Based on content from Grolier encyclopedias, Mythlopedia presents the superstars of Greek mythology — from mighty Olympians to slithering serpents — along with the myths that put them in the pantheon.
Characters' "first-person" profiles take the form of blogs, personal ads, and journal entries. Need a guard dog? Check the entry for Cerberus. Looking for love? So is Aphrodite! Myths are told in plain language while photos and illustrations add visual support and humor. Reality Checks throughout connect ancient mythology to the "real world," from comic book characters to constellations.
• Full-spread illustrated map of Greece
• Introduction: the origins of mythology
• A-Z Hall of Fame: Yearbook-style entries
• Profiles and Myths
• First-person profiles; pronunciation and Roman name; key attributes, powers, and characteristics; "Top Ten Things to Know About Me;" Family, Friends, Flings, and Foes
• Reality Checks connect ancient mythology to the present day "real world"
• Curriculum-related myths; sidebars explain difficult concepts and terms
• Loads of photographs and illustrations
• Breakout Spreads. Illustrated special features on such mythological hot spots as Poseidon's Water Park, The Underworld, the Trojan War, and the original showdown, the Titans vs. Olympians
• Family Tree: Genealogical chart of gods and goddesses
• Suggestions for further reading, includes books and age-appropriate websites
• Full-series index in each book