Grades 3 - 7
Grade level Equivalent: 4.4
Lexile® Measure: 710L
DRA: Not Available
Guided Reading: Not Available
- Ghosts, Monsters, Vampires, Witches
- Action and Adventure Heroes
- Extended Families
- Defiance and Talking Back
- Magic and Supernatural
About This Book
There are three rules to the family's ancient painted music box: Wind the box three times only. Never shut the box when the music is playing. Never move the box before the music stops.
Leo wouldn't dream of breaking these rules, but does his stubborn cousin Mimi listen? She winds the box four times — and suddenly the paintings on its side come to life and a powerful witch is released. Now its up to Leo and Mimi to stop the witch, if only they can find the key to the music box — and the magical world it controls.
* "Rodda liberally sprinkles nursery-rhyme references and fairy-tale motifs among her own fresh details to create a splendidly vivid world." — Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Rodda fills the cousins' quest with image-rich prose and compelling action...the world of Rondo is an engagingly eclectic mix of fairy-tale figures and memorable new wonders. This warm fantasy presents a fresh score of thwarting evil, strengthening family ties, and achieving personal growth, and questors who have recently returned from the wardrobe or Gardner's Into the Woods will be eager to turn the key and slip into the music box." — The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review
"Rodda keeps the pace brisk and the plot turns frequent..." — Booklist