Grades 2 - 5
Grade level Equivalent: 3.9
Lexile® Measure: 880L
Guided Reading: Q
- American History
- Boats and Underwater Craft
- Immigration and Assimilation Experiences
- Culture and Diversity
- United States
- Prejudice and Tolerance Experiences
About This Book
This book describes, in question and answer format, the great migration of immigrants to New York's Ellis Island, from the 1880s to 1914. Quotes from children and adults who passed through the station are featured.
If your name was changed at Ellis Island:
• Would everyone in your family travel together?
• How long would you stay at Ellis Island?
• Why would your name be changed?
This book tells you what it was like if when Ellis Island was opened in 1892 as a center for immigrants coming to live in America.