Grades 6 - 8
Grade level Equivalent: 8.0
Lexile Measure®: 1170L
DRA: Not Available
Guided Reading: Z
- General Nonfiction
- Scientists and Human Endeavor
- Inventors and Inventions
About This Book
The discovery of gunpowder forever transformed mining, construction, and warfare, and this book in the "Inventions That Shaped the World" series explores its origins and uses from Asia to Europe.
"Inventions That Shaped the World" introduces young readers to revolutionary inventions, and emphasizes the impact the inventions had upon life at the time of their creation and beyond. Also explored is the featured invention’s cultural significance, as well as the patterns of change that resulted from its origination. Chapters cover topics such as life before the invention, the need for the invention, its development, its influence upon culture, its evolution, and a biography on the inventor.
• Highly visual with engaging four-color photos that enliven each subject
• Interesting sidebars that enhance text
• Introduces readers to revolutionary inventions and emphasizes the impact the inventions had upon life at the time of the creation and beyond
• Glossary, index, timeline, "To Find Out More" section