Grades 3 - 7
Grade level Equivalent: 4.4
Lexile Measure®: 710L
DRA: Not Available
Guided Reading: Not Available
- Science Fiction
- Equality, Fairness, Justice
- Prejudice and Tolerance Experiences
- Technology and Society
About This Book
The Clone Codes sci-fi adventure trilogy continues with this second book that blends a futuristic society with pivotal moments in world history.
In the next Clone Codes installment, Houston, a cyborg, tells his story. Set in the year 2130, The World Federation of Nations determines through laws and regulations that all enhanced persons with three or more synthetic body or organ replacements are classified as three-fifths of a human being. As such, Houston is considered less than human and must fight to overcome the rules of his strange universe. Drawing on parallels to slavery, terrorism, caste system oppression, and war, readers confront the troubling and complex moral questions probed throughout history.
If the government learns of Houston's cyborg status it could cost him his life--and change the course of history forever. With the help of Leanna, his friend, Houston is in a race with time, and he's in a fight against the oppressive ways of The Cyborg Act of 2130, which says:
• All cyborgs must be registered with the Bureau of Cyborg Affairs (BCA)
• Those that are cyborgs must live within designated areas set aside on the Moon Colony. If a cyborg desires to live or work elsewhere, it must acquire BCA permission.
• It is mandated that cyborgs may not serve as officers in The World Federation of Nations' defense forces, or serve in any national law enforcement agencies.
• Cyborg children must attend one of four cyborg academies based on test scores and abilities.
• All Cyborgs over the age of 16 must be gainfully employed.
• Cyborgs need permission from the BCA to marry or have children.
• The BCA will provide Cyborgs with medical insurance, and will take care of their health care needs.
• Cyborgs cannot inherit real property.
• Cyborgs can only participate in amateur or professional sports within the Cyborg Leagues.