Grades 6 - 8
Grade level Equivalent: 7.8
Lexile Measure®: 1140L
Guided Reading: W
- Westward Exploration and Expansion
- Building and Construction
- Chinese and Chinese American
- Trains and Subways
About This Book
The completion of the first transcontinental railroad in 1869 was a spectacular feat of engineering through rugged western mountain ranges. But the story of the transcontinental railroad also touches upon bigger issues of American society, such as the debate over the expansion of slavery to new territories and prejudice against Asian immigrants.
Dramatic and defining moments in American history — from colonial times to the present day — come vividly to life in Cornerstones of Freedom, Second Series. A natural extension of the acclaimed original series, the second series returns its focus to the United States with more of what middle-grade teachers and students are looking for to support history, social studies, and geography curricula.
Authoritative and up-to-date, Cornerstones of Freedom, Second Series is an exceptional and indispensable resource for middle-grade readers.
• Expanded subject coverage
• Subheadings clarify what text is about
• Informative sidebars integrated with text highlight areas of interest
• Glossary words now boldfaced in text
• Comprehensive timelines
• "To Find Out More" sections and index now in every volume