What big challenges do new teachers face?
by Ruth Manna
The biggest challenges new teachers face are in three key areas: support, discipline, and classroom management. These questions will help you focus your efforts to overcome the challenges:
- Is there a new teacher orientation program?
- Are school policies and procedures in writing for new teachers?
- Does a new teacher have an assigned mentor teacher? Do they meet weekly?
- Does a new teacher’s administrator check in with her frequently?
- Are colleagues available weekly for team or grade-level meetings?
- Do teachers plan together or assist a new teacher with planning?
- Are a new teacher’s students respectful toward one another and their teacher?
- Does she have rules in place that she reinforces?
- Are there logical consequences for students who don’t follow the rules?
- Does a new teacher’s class move around the building in an orderly way?
- Does she know how to handle difficult students and situations? Does she know when to ask for support?
- Is a new teacher well-organized? Does he follow a schedule?
- Are systems in place that make the school day run smoothly?
- Does a new teacher work effectively with assistants and other adults in the classroom?
- Is time used effectively? Is pacing appropriate for a given class?
- Does a new teacher advocate for his students?
- Is a new teacher sensitive to diverse learners?
- Are all students treated fairly without regard for race, gender, socioeconomic status, and so on?
- Is a new teacher able to multitask?