Underground Railroad Resources
By Linda Scher, Nathan Katzin
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
- Freedom Roads: Searching for the Underground Railroad, by Joyce Hansen and Gary McGowan (Cricket, 2003). Gr. 5-8.
This book explains how artifacts from archaeological digs and archived information are used to investigate the Underground Railroad.
- Dear Austin: Letters from the Underground Railroad, by Elvira Woodruff
This fictional journal of two boys on the Underground Railroad is a good choice for lower-level readers.
- The Underground Railroad
Students can take a virtual journey from slavery to freedom.
- National Register of Historic Places
This site offers an online tour of historic sites related to the Underground Railroad, a good resource for Marking the Trail.
- The Life of Harriet Tubman
Explore the life of one of the Underground Railroad's most famous conductors at this excellent, in-depth site.