Thinking Questions for Hanukkah
Use these questions to reflect on the history and meaning of Hanukkah.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
1. When the candles are lit on the menorah, they are a symbol. What do they symbolize? Tell the story in your own words.
2. What is the tzedakah box used for? Why do you think it might have special meaning during Hanukkah?
3. What do the four Hebrew letters on the sides of a dreidel stand for? What does that phrase have to do with Hanukkah?
4. Why does Hanukkah start on a different day each year?
5. If you were to explain Hanukkah to a friend who had never heard of it before, what story would you tell?