Students learn about patterns and puzzles while creating this holiday-themed craft.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Teach about patterns and puzzles with this unique, St. Patrick's Day craft in which students piece together a vibrant puzzle.
What You Need
- A pattern of a shamrock (for younger students)
- 8-inch by 11-inch white construction paper
- Black marker
- Crayons in several shades of green
- 9-inch by 12-inch black construction paper
What You Do
- Discuss patterns with your students and show examples.
- Using a pencil, lightly draw a large shamrock in the center of the white construction paper. Younger students may need to trace a pattern.
- Trace the outline of the shamrock with the black marker.
- Using a pencil, draw squiggly lines to divide the paper into puzzle-like shapes. Older students should draw 3 to 4 lines; younger students should draw 2.
- Trace the lines with black marker.
- Cut along the squiggly lines to make the puzzle pieces.
- Color each puzzle piece with varied designs and colors of green. Each piece should be different.
- Reassemble the puzzle and glue the pieces to the black construction paper.