Paper Plate Turkey Hat Craft
Students can get into character as colorful Thanksgiving turkeys after creating this wearable artwork.
By Laura Murray
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Gobble, gobble! With this fun craft, students can dress up as dinner’s main event in celebration of Thanksgiving.
What You Need:
- White paper plates, one for every two students
- Paints of various colors, including brown
- Construction paper in brown, orange, and red
- Googly eyes
What You Do:
- Cut the paper plates in half and distribute one half to each student.
- Have each child paint the half-circle center of his or her paper plate with brown paint.
- Students paint the scalloped rim of the paper plate with a variety of colors to create the feathers. Paint strokes should be thick vertical lines, one next the other. Set the plate aside to dry.
- While the paint is drying, have students cut a circle out of the brown construction paper for the turkey head. It should be about half the size of the paper plate half-circle.
- Have students cut a small triangle from the orange construction paper for the turkey’s beak and a small strip from the red construction paper for the beard.
- Next, children glue the brown circle in the center of the brown-painted section of the paper plate, then glue on the beak, beard, and googly eyes to complete the face.
- Have students cut two rectangular strips from the orange construction paper, about 6-8 inches long, then fold them back and forth, like a fan, to crimp them. Have students carefully cut several slits at the bottom of each orange strip to create a fringed look.
- Have students glue the non-fringed ends of the orange strips to the back of the hat, one on each side.
- Help each student cut a strip out of the brown construction paper that is long enough fit around his or her head. This will be the band for the turkey hat.
- When all the glue and paint on the hat has dried, staple the band in a loop to fit the student's head and staple the loop to the bottom of the paper plate so the student can wear the hat.