Mother’s Day Flower Card
This Mother's Day craft is easy to make and sure to please moms!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
This personalized flower card is a special way for students to express their appreciation for their mothers on Mother's Day.
What You Need
- 9- by 12-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch orange construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch green construction paper, one sheet per student
- 4.5- by 6-inch brown construction paper, one sheet per student (or one 9- by 12-inch sheet per four students)
- A small photograph of each student
- Optional: Circle and leaf patterns for younger students
What You Do
- Help your students use pencils to trace their hands four times on the orange construction paper.
- Instruct your students to cut out each of their handprints. These will become the petals of the flowers.
- Have your students fold each of the fingers of the handprints like an accordion. When the students unfold the fingers, they should take on a wavy 3-D effect.
- To make the stems of the flowers, the students should cut a 1- by 12-inch strip from the green construction paper. Have your students accordion-fold these strips too.
- The students can then cut two green leaves from the remaining green construction paper. Note: You may want to provide a template or stencil for younger students to follow.
- The students should accordion-fold the leaves.
- To create the center of the flowers, have your students cut the brown construction paper into a circle that's about 3 inches in diameter. Note: Younger students may need a template or stencil.
- Help your students assemble their flowers by arranging their handprints in a circular pattern on the white construction paper and gluing them in place, as shown.
- Have your students glue the brown circle in the middle of the petals.
- The students should glue the green stem below the flower and glue the leaves to the flower’s stem. Set aside to dry.
- Instruct your students to carefully cut a photograph of their faces into a circle.
- Have your students glue the circular picture in the middle of the brown circle in the flower's center.
- Finally, the students can use the markers to write a special Mother’s Day message to their mothers on the top of the card!