Make a Chinese Dragon Head Craft
Make a fun craft project while celebrating and learning about Chinese New Year!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
After tracing their own handprints on brightly colored paper and coloring a beautiful dragon head, students will assemble them into this beautiful decoration for their Lunar New Year celebrations.
What You Need
- 12- by 9-inch construction paper in all colors, at least three sheets per student
- Dragon head template (PDF), one per student
- Large craft sticks
- Crayons, colored pencils, or markers
What You Do
- Have the students glue a dragon head onto construction paper (for stability).
- Students then color the dragon head template however they like and then cut around the outside edges of the head, through the construction paper.
- Each student should choose at least three different colors of construction paper and make six hand tracings on them.
- Students cut out the handprints and glue them in an arched pattern on top of one another, as shown.
- Help students glue the dragon head to the handprint body. The fingers should face away from the head to look like dragon scales.
- Have your students glue a craft stick to the back side of the dragon in the middle of the body.