Make a Chinese Dragon Head
A fun craft project for students to make while celebrating and learning about Chinese New Year.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
After tracing their own handprints on brightly-colored paper and coloring a beautiful dragon head, students will assemble them into this beautiful decoration for their Lunar New Year celebrations.
What You Need
- Construction paper, all colors
- Dragon head template (below)
- Craft sticks
- Crayons, colored pencils, or markers
What You Do
- Have the student color the dragon head template as they would like and then cut around the outside edges of the head.
- Glue the head onto construction paper (for stability) and then cut around the edges.
- Have the child choose at least three different colors of construction paper and make six hand tracings on them.
- Cut out the handprints, then glue them in an arched pattern on top of one another.
- Glue the dragon head to the hand body. The fingers should face away from the head.
- Attach a craft stick with glue to the back side of the dragon, in the middle of the body.