Activities and Games, Article
Holiday Craft: Craft Stick Christmas Trees
This holiday craft project is fun, easy, and uses items you may already have in the classroom.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
The holiday break is coming and your students may be getting antsy, so take a break from the daily rigors of classwork with a creative project. This simple craft will keep them focused and having fun.
What You Need
Each student should have his or her own setup with all of the following:
- Green, yellow and brown paint
- Craft sticks: two large, three medium, and two small
- Wooden star cutout or small die-cut star
- Decorations such as glitter, stickers, sequins, and foam cutout
- Craft glue
What You Do
- Students should take a large craft stick and place it vertically, to make a base for the other sticks.
- Next, to make the bottom branch of the tree: Glue a second large craft stick across the bottom of the first, leaving just enough room to form a tree trunk.
- Have students glue the three medium-sized sticks horizontally above the large stick.
- Next, they will glue the small sticks above the medium sticks, leaving enough room for a star on top.
- Have students paint the tree trunk brown and the branches green -- or whatever colors they are inspired to use!
- Set aside to dry.
- Paint the star yellow, or use glitter and glue to jazz it up. Set aside to dry.
- After all elements are dry, glue the star to the top of the tree.
- Finally, children can add any other decorations they like to the trees.