Article, Book Resources
Great Resources for Vocabulary Building
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
Support your students as they build their vocabularies — encourage them to read voluminously. The more new words they encounter and the more practice they have with the words they know, the better their vocabularies will become. Here are some resources that are wordy and wonderfully fun!
Your students will gain world and word knowledge when they read magazines. Here are just a few of the classroom magazines that will capture your class’s interest while helping vocabulary development.
Classroom Paperback Collections
As wide reading of books positively impacts vocabulary development, you will want your students to read, read, and read some more! These fiction and nonfiction books have been carefully selected to reflect the emphasis on vocabulary in the federal Reading First initiative. The books selected emphasize nonfiction because it makes up so much of what we read today.
The following titles are available in the Teacher Store.
- Reading First Collections: Vocabulary (Grades K–1)
- Reading First Collections: Vocabulary (Grades 2–3)
- If You… Collection Grades (Grades 3–5)
- My America Collection (Grades 4–6)
- Great Nonfiction (Grades 4–6)
- Historical Biographies (Grades 4–6)
- In Their Own Words (Grades 4–6)
- One Day in the… Collection (Grades 4–6)
- Science Collection (Grades 4–6)
- Holocaust Grades (Grades 5–6)
- Scholastic Guided Reading Program—Blue Edition
- Know it All Collection (Grades 4–6)
For more information, request our catalog online or call 1-800-SCHOLASTIC (1-800-724-6527).
Dictionaries and other books about words aren’t just great resources in the classroom — they’re also handy to have around when reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle. Your students will become word lovers and build their vocabularies when they use references like these. They won’t even mind when you say, “Look it up!”
The following book is available in the Teacher Store.
For more information on the following titles, request our catalog online or call 1-800-SCHOLASTIC (1-800-724-6527).
- Scholastic First Dictionary by Judith S. Levey (Grades 1–3)
- Scholastic First Dictionary Activity Book by Lorraine Hopping Egan (Grades1–3)
- Scholastic Guides: Building Your Vocabulary by Marvin Terban
- Scholastic Children’s Dictionary Activity Book by Lorraine Hopping Egan (Grades 3–6)
- Scholastic Children’s Thesaurus (Grades 3–8)
- Scholastic Student Thesaurus (Grades 5–9)