FAQs on Hosting an Author Visit
How Do I Invite an Author to my School, Library, Festival or Conference?
How much does an author visit cost?
Costs vary depending on the author and the accommodations that need to be made. General expenses include:
- Author's Honorarium: range from $500 to $5,000 a day. Check the individual author's page for specific information.
- Author's Travel: airfare, taxi fares, etc. If your budget restricts you to a local author, check our author listing by region
- Accommodations: hotel (if needed), meals, and other living expenses for the duration of the trip.
Final honorariums and expenses will need to be worked out one-on-one with the author as you plan the event together.
How do I contact an author or illustrator?
Scholastic will contact authors you are interested in inviting to your school and confirm their availability.
Then decide on tentative dates for your event and complete the Request an Author Visit form.
Can I call to book an author visit?
Please submit your request via our online form. Once we receive your request, we will contact you as promptly as possible.
Can I mail in the Request an Author Visit form?
Yes. You can print a PDF and mail the completed form to:
Marketing, Author Visits
New York, NY 10012-3999
Or Fax it to 212.389.3063
What if the author I want isn't listed?
New authors are periodically added during the school year. You can check back to see if a specific author or illustrator is available at a later time.
However, not every author conducts author visits. Well-established Scholastic authors or illustrators who are not listed are not accepting invitations for school visits.
What happens after I submit my request?
As soon as we receive your request form, we will contact the author(s) you listed in order of preference.
We will contact you again once we have heard back from the author(s), and then we will follow-up with a written confirmation.
After you receive the confirmation, you will make all further arrangements directly with the author.
How can I order books for the author visit?
You can order books from Scholastic and save 40% on any of your visiting author's titles. Choose the ordering option that's most convenient:
- Online from The Teacher Store at Scholastic.com. Enter coupon code AUTHOR at checkout to save 40% on the author's books.
- By phone, call 1-800-SCHOLASTIC (1-800-724-6527). Choose option #3 (instructional and supplemental materials). Tell your customer service representative that the order is for an author/illustrator visit on ___ date to receive your discount.
- Via your sales representative. If you are currently working directly with a Scholastic sales representative, you may place your discounted order thorough this contact.
For more information, please see Save on Books: Order Your Visiting Author's Work