Article, Writing Prompts
The Dark Is Rising Writing Prompt
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8, 9–12
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 7.1
Lexile Measure: 920L
Guided Reading Level: X
Age: Age 11, Age 14, Age 12, Age 10, Age 13
Genre: Adventure, Dictionaries, Series, Fantasy
Subject: Courage, Bravery, Heroism, Honor
Points to Ponder
- Do you think Will really experienced the fantasy part of the story, or could he have dreamed it? Give reasons to support your answer.
- Why do you think Will was able to react so calmly to the strange happenings in his life? How would you have reacted?
- Why do you think the author chose to have Will move in and out of his real time rather than enter the fantasy world and stay there?
- What do you think Merriman means when he says Any great gift of power or talent is a burden? How might Will's powers be a burden to him?
- Have you ever felt that the dark was rising in your own life? Describe your experience.