Chinese New Year Dragon Craft Project
A cute, colorful craft that your students will love to create for new year celebrations!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
In this easy and inexpensive craft, students create a dragon's head from construction paper and add a body made from paper loops.
What You Need
- 9- by 12-inch construction paper in various colors, at least one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch white construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch red construction paper, one sheet per student
- 9- by 12-inch black construction paper, one sheet per student
- Craft feathers
What You Do
- Have each of your students cut 1- by 12-inch strips from a sheet of colored construction paper, making nine strips per sheet.
- Students each select nine strips of construction paper in different colors.
- Help your students staple the two ends of a strip together to form a loop.
- Students insert one end of a second strip through the first loop and staple the ends of that strip to start a chain.
- Repeat step 4 until all nine of their strips are connected.
- The students then cut a large oval shape from a new sheet of construction paper. Have them fold the oval in half so it can open and close. This will be the dragon’s head.
- Help them each cut a small strip of red construction paper to be the dragon's tongue. They should glue this strip inside the dragon’s head so it peeks out, as shown.
- Help your students cut six to 10 small white triangles from the white construction paper for teeth. The teeth should be glued inside the mouth so that the pointed ends hang out, as shown.
- Use the remaining white construction paper to cut two circles, each about the size of a quarter, for the eyes.
- Then cut two smaller circles, about the size of nickels, from the black construction paper.
- Students can glue the smaller black circles on top of the white circles to create eyes.
- The eyes should be glued on the top side of the dragon's head, as shown.
- Allow your students to finish their dragons by gluing feathers to the head and construction paper links.