Chinese New Year Dragon
A cute, colorful craft that your students will love to create for new year celebrations!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
In this easy and inexpensive craft, students create a dragon's head from construction paper, and then add a body made from paper loops.
What You Need
- Construction paper in various colors
- Googly eyes
- Craft feathers
What You Do
- Cut 10 strips of paper, each measuring 1x11 inches
- Staple two ends of a strip together to form a loop. Then, insert one end of another strip through the loop and staple the ends of that strip to create a chain. Link all ten strips.
- Cut a large oval shape. Fold it in half. This will be the dragon’s head.
- Cut a small strip of red paper to be used as the dragon's tongue. Glue this strip inside the dragon’s head.
- Cut 6 to 10 small white triangles for teeth. Glue the teeth inside the mouth so that the pointed end hangs out.
- Cut two white circles about the size of a quarter for the eyes. Cut two smaller black circles to glue on top of the white circles for eyes.
- Glue the eyes on the outer side of head.
- Finish your dragon by adding feathers to the head and links.