Charlotte's Web Discussion Questions
- Grades: 1–2
About this book
Grade Level Equivalent: 4.9
Lexile Measure: 680L
Guided Reading Level: R
Age: Age 8, Age 9, Age 10
Genre: Animal Stories, Classics
Subject: Death, Grief, Loss, Love, Farm and Ranch Animals, Farm and Ranch Life, Friends and Friendship
After reading Charlotte's Web, use these questions to start a discussion with your students about the book. Also consider using any of these questions as a writing prompt.
- If you were Charlotte, what would you have written in your web about Wilbur?
- Why did Charlotte like Wilbur so much?
- Is Templeton the rat a hero or a villain in the story? Why?
- Do you think Charlotte's three daughters will write words in their webs too, like their mother did? What will they write?
- Have you ever had a really close friendship with an animal?
- What makes someone a good friend?
- Do you eat meat? If so, do you ever think about the animals it came from? What do you think about vegetarianism? Do you think Fern is a vegetarian?
- In the beginning of Charlotte's Web, Fern saves Wilbur from death. Would you have saved Wilbur too? Tell about a time when you stood up for someone smaller or weaker than yourself.
- When everybody is at the county fair, Fern leaves Wilbur alone in his pen while she explores the sights (and food and rides). Why did she do this?