Activities and Games, Article
Bulletin Boards to Celebrate Reading!
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
Interactive Bulletin Boards (Grades K-6)
Work with your students to create a bulletin board for a book you are preparing to read as a class, and add to it as your reading progresses. Charlotte's Web is used here as an example, but this bulletin board idea can be used with any book.
- Before beginning the book, work together with children to create a bulletin board of a farm scene that includes a barn, a pigpen, and Charlotte's doorway.
- As you encounter animal characters in the book, add them to the bulletin board.
- Label each animal with two or three adjectives that describe its character (e.g. Wilbur: loyal, considerate, humble).
- Discuss how the personalities of each contributed to the harmony (or disharmony) of the community.
- Once the book is finished, complete the bulletin board by creating a talk bubble for each animal that contains a quote from the story. Let students try to match the quote to the animal and staple it to the bulletin board above its head.