The Best Graphic Novels for Reluctant Readers
Ten graphic novels and illustrated books that promise to draw in even the most reluctant reader
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
- Drawing From Memory by Allen Say. $17.99.
Caldecott winner Allen Say tells how he became an artist in this fascinating memoir, which also contains photographs and images of the work that has inspired him.
- Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick. $29.99.
In Selznick’s long-awaited follow-up to The Invention of Hugo Cabret, two children, 50 years apart, run away to the American Museum of Natural History.
- The Chronicles of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg et al. $24.99.
Fourteen authors, from Stephen King to Kate DiCamillo, share tales inspired by Chris Van Allsburg’s The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.
Grades 7 and up.
- Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson. $15.99.
Patterson departs from his usual thrill rides to tell the story of sixth grader Rafe Khatchadorian, who conspires to break every rule in school.
- Around the World by Matt Phelan. $24.99.
Got wanderlust? Read this graphic novel about three 19th-century figures who attempted to travel around the world: Thomas Stevens, Nellie Bly, and Joshua Slocum.
- The Power of Cute: My Very First Graphic Novel by Charise Mericle Harper. $10.99.
Introduce little ones to the world of graphic novels with this colorful tale of a superhero baby who wields the power of cute.
- The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man by Michael Chabon, illustrated by Jake Parker. $17.99.
The first picture book from Pulitzer Prize winner Chabon lets readers in on the fact that even superheroes have secrets.
- Stickman Odyssey by Christopher Ford. $12.99.
What if the entire story of The Odysseywas told in bored-student-style stickman doodles? That’s the premise of this laugh-out-loud take on Greek mythology.
- The Popularity Papers: Book Three by Amy Ignatow. $15.95.
BFFs Julie and Lydia are reunited in the third volume of this cartoon-inspired series perfect for fans of Marissa Moss’s Amelia books.
- The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente, illustrated by Ana Juan. $16.99.
Your readers won’t want to come home from Fairyland.
Grades 6 and up.