Abraham Lincoln Mask Craft Project
This craft will complement a Presidents' Day lesson, as well as a celebration of Lincoln's birthday on February 12.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Students create a wearable Lincoln mask in this quick and fun craft project.
What You Need:
- 12- by 9-inch black construction paper, one sheet per student
- Hat template (PDF), one per student group
- Paper plates, one per student
- Large craft sticks, one per student
What You Do:
- Before class, use the Hat Template (PDF) to print and cut out enough traceable hat shapes for the students to share in small groups.
- Have your students each trace a hat template onto a piece of black construction paper and cut it out. Keep the leftover construction paper.
- Students then use the rest of the black paper to cut many thin strips of black construction paper.
- Everyone should crumple all the small black strips of paper.
- Have each student cut out the center of his or her paper plate and discard the center, keeping the rim.
- Help your students glue the crumpled strips of black paper to the bottom half of the paper plate rims to make "beards."
- Have the students glue their black hats to the top of each paper plate rim.
- Help your students glue a craft stick to the bottom of the paper plate rim to make a handle for the mask.