6+1 Traits of Writing
By Ruth Culham
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
Teachers use these Traits to help students learn the specific skills necessary to make their writing really work.
- Ideas: The meaning and development of the message.
- Organization: The internal structure of the piece.
- Voice: The way the writer brings the topic to life.
- Word Choice: The specific vocabulary the writer uses to convey meaning.
- Sentence Fluency: The way the words and phrases flow throughout the text.
- Conventions: The mechanical correctness of the piece.
- Presentation: The overall appearance of the work.