Online Learning Activities
From online activities to encyclopedia articles to writing tips, Scholastic offers a world of knowledge to students writing research papers.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8, 9–12
Scholastic’s “Research Starters,” created with Grolier Onilne, offers students a jump-start on their research papers. Students will find links to online activities, encyclopedia articles, and tips on how to write a research paper. Included are 15 Social Studies and Science topics, but students can also recommend a topic they’d like Research Starters to add.
Here are a few examples:
- World War II: Military Operations: Includes a glossary of common terms referenced and 20 articles on the subject, from the Normandy Invasion to George S. Patten. Plus, students will find links to outside sources on the Holocaust, Japanese Balloon Bombs, and more.
- Confucianism: Includes seven articles about the Asian religion, links to outside sources on everything from Chinese culture to Confucius, and a list of related vocabulary words.
- Spanish Missions: Students will find 11 articles on the subject, a glossary of common terms, and links to outside sources on a guide to Arizona missions, San Antonio missions, and more.
Additional social studies topics include:
- Anasazi and Pueblo Indians
- Civil Rights in Alabama in the 1960s
- Presidential and Parliamentary Governments
- Plymouth Colony
- Women's History
Science topics include: