Online Learning Activities, Writing Activities
Poetry: A Write It Activity
This online six-step writing workshop helps students bring their work from idea to published poem.
- Grades: 9–12
Scholastic’s “Poetry: A WRITE IT Activity,” for high school students, incorporates interactive tutorials, exercises, publishing opportunities, message boards, and creative ideas — all meant to help students hone their skills through the poetry-writing process.
- Brainstorm: These eight “poetry starters” will get students’ creative juices flowing. The exercises help students draw inspiration from art, from their lives, their peers, and from their surroundings.
- Draft: These four tips and strategies help students get launched and keep them writing.
- Review: Students learn to evaluate and improve their own work, as well as get – and give – meaningful feedback.
- Revise: Students learn to “re-vision” their drafts, how to handle feedback from others, and a 12-point exercise that helps students approach their writing from new perspectives.
- Polish: This list of ideas helps students improve their poems, including how to use alliteration, assonance, and meter to give it aural punch.
- Publish: A unique opportunity for students to become published poets! Here, they submit their completed work to Scholastic.com.
Students can Chat with Fellow Writers to get feedback on their writing.
Students gets tips on how to Build Your Profile, showcasing their best work. Can be helpful when applying to college or even for a job.
A sample poem by Meredith, age 17, offers inspiration.