Poetry Idea Engine: A Writing With Writers Activity
This activity taps into your students' creativity by challenging them to write haikus, free verse, limericks, and more.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
With Scholastic’s “Poetry Idea Engine” interactive activity, students can practice writing their own poems. This engine, developed with GoCyberCamp, allows students to explore several types of poems.
- First, students select which type of poem they’d like to write: a limerick, haiku, cinquain, or free verse.
- The engine offers students a definition of the poem, then generates a poem with missing words. Students can choose from a list of words to complete the poem.
- When they’re finished, students can print their poem, or play again!
While participating in the "Poetry Idea Engine" activity, students become proficient with these skills:
- Identify unique characteristics of the poetry genre
- Practice poetry writing skills such as rhythm, rhyming, and descriptive vocabulary