Computer Lab Activities
Outer Space: A Math Hunt Activity
This learning activity puts students’ research and math skills to the test by asking them to answers five questions about outer space.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In “Outer Space” (grades 5–8), tudents go on an online fact-finding mission to answer five multiple-choice, math-related questions about the planets, satellites, space exploration, and more.
By how many degrees Fahrenheit does the temperature on Mars vary?
- 290 degrees Fahrenheit
- -290 degrees Fahrenheit
- 150 degrees Fahrenheit
In addition to challenging students’ reading comprehension skills, “Outer Space” tests these “math hunting” skills:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Converting Units of Measurement
- Numerical Sequences: Calculating with Negative Numbers
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers