Activities and Games
Milly and the Macy's Parade Activity
These activities and printables make the perfect accompaniments for students reading the Milly and the Macy's Parade holiday picture book.
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Scholastic provides various learning activities to do before, during, and after your students (grades K–4) read the Milly and the Macy’s Parade holiday picture book. The book explores themes including New York City landmarks and history, immigration, homesickness, holiday traditions, and kids’ empowerment.
Before You Read
- Students can take a Vocabulary Quiz to get warmed up to words they’ll encounter in the book.
- Three PDFs — Feeling Homesick, Holiday Traditions, and A Marvelous Idea — get students writing about the themes that will be introduced in the book.
While You Read
- Students document details about the book with a Story Map, so they can create an Illustrated Book report later.
- Print the Simile Sheet to introduce students to similes and get them writing their own examples.
After You Read
- Take the Reading Comprehension Quiz to test students on facts as well as interpretative information from the book.
- Students can create a three-page book report using the Illustrated Book Report Maker, which includes a cover page, a written page of facts about the book, and a third page on their opinions about the book.
- Three PDFs — How Would You Feel, Mr. Macy’s Reaction and Milly’s Marvelous Idea — highlight significant moments from the book and inspire students’ imaginations.