Computer Lab Activities
Math Hunt: Winter Olympics
Lace up the ice skates, wax those skis, and meet the world's elite athletes on a trek to find answers to math problems that will earn you a gold-medal-worthy score.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In “Winter Olympics” (grades 5–8), a learning activity from Scholastic’s Math Hunt series, students go on an online fact-finding mission to answer five multiple-choice, math-related questions about sports, Olympic athletes, and the events.
What percentage of the first winter Olympic Games' competitors were women?
In addition to challenging students’ reading comprehension skills, “Winter Olympics” tests these “math hunting” skills:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Converting Units of Measurement
- Decimals and Percentages
- Ratio and Proportion
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers