Computer Lab Activities
Students set out on fact-finding missions that test math skills, provide practice researching on the Web, and boost reading comprehension.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In the highly motivating cross-curricular activity “Math Hunt,” students embark on fact-finding missions that test math skills, provide practice researching on the Web, and boost reading comprehension. In each Math Hunt, students visit Web sites related to social studies or science topics. There, they must find the information they need to solve a real-world math problem that covers one of 16 skills that correlate to curriculum standards for grades 5–8.
- Science topics vary from Antarctica and Earth Day to Weather and Outer Space.
- Social Studies topics feature Ancient Civilizations, National Parks, Sports, World Explorers, and more.
- Finance topics include Income, Managing Money, Saving and Investing, and Spending and Credit.
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers