Computer Lab Activities
Maggie's Earth Adventures
Teachers have told us these 14 online activities for English grammar, Spanish, math, and science are so appealing they use them as rewards.
- Grades: 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
Scholastic and Maggie's Earth Adventures (www.missmaggie.org) offer students interactive activities that are so fun and engaging, they’ll forget they’re learning! The activities target specific skill development, from speed of basic math facts to applying the correct inflectional endings so that words can be spelled correctly. Also included are Spanish language activities for ESL students or students learning Spanish as a foreign language.
Many teachers tell us they use these activities as rewards when children have completed other work, as a center activity, and even as homework.
"Maggie's Earth Adventures" include four content areas, each focusing on different skills, as shown below. Each activity can be played multiple times.
- Clean Up Your Grammar: nouns and verbs
- Edit Dan's Copy: capitalization, final punctuation, run-on sentences, quotation marks, apostrophes, and keyboarding practice
- Short Circuit: prefixes, suffixes, and vocabulary
- Fish 'Em Up!: spelling/phonics
- Super Match Game: homophones
- Dude's Dilemma: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
- Around the World in 80 Seconds: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division
- Spanish-English Cycle Race: Spanish vocabulary
- ¡Limpia Tu Gramática!: Spanish grammar
- Diagramando a la Ciencia: Spanish science vocabulary
- El Dilema de Dude: Spanish math vocabulary and math skills
- ¡Alrededor del Mundo en 80 Segundos!: Spanish math vocabulary and math skills
- Puzzle de Contraseña!: Spanish consonants and vowels
- Science Labeling: memory, labeling, and science vocabulary
While participating in the Maggie's Earth Adventures project, students become proficient with several of these skills.
- Use Web technology to practice math, science, Spanish, and grammar skills
- Build on math skills to higher levels
- Improve on grammar skills within different skill sets
- Use technology tools to make connections between English and Spanish grammar and vocabulary
- Track progress on different skill sets
- Identify scientific structures